Pages

Saturday 17 September 2016

Dear Career Sensei

You may wear Prada but does HR know what you did last summer?


Dear Career Sensei,

I was recently passed over for a promotion that my supervisor and I were so sure that I would get. My supervisor recommended me for the promotion but informed me that our director chopped my name off the list because she felt I wasn’t qualified just yet. It really frustrates me that the said director gets to make such important decisions on my growth within the company when she doesn’t work directly with me and is not privy to how committed I am to the job.

I am gutted because I’ve given my all to this job and even turned down another offer 3 months earlier because I was certain I was going to get this promotion.


I’ve been nursing strong hateful feelings towards our director, so much that I’ve been strategizing on ways to ensure that she gets sacked. I have evidence of her flouting one of the company’s policies; an offence punishable by sacking and want to send it to HR via our anonymous whistleblowing portal.

Should I go ahead and report her? I plan on leaving anyway and have a few interviews lined up already.

Angry and vengeful Career girl


Hello Angry and Vengeful Career Girl

You must be good at what you hence the recruiters lined up to snatch you up from your current job but judging by your reaction to being passed on for a promotion, you still have a lot to learn about Emotional Intelligence (EQ), a very vital skill you would need to excel not only at work but in your general day-to-day encounters.

Instead of plotting on getting revenge on your director, why don't you request to have a one-on-one chat with her to find out directly from her why she feels you aren't qualified? By having her explain what she thinks your shortcomings are you would be able to gain insights on what you need to do to excel on the job while demonstrating to her that you are willing to learn and improve. And even if you decide to take up another appointment you would be better off  at the new position knowing that you left on good terms.

All the best!

The Career Sensei

Please send your questions for publication to dearcareersensei@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment