Pages

Monday 10 October 2016

Dear Career Sensei




These shoes were made for walking

Dear Career Sensei,

I have just taken up a new job as a sales representative. Yesterday I was informed by my manager that I am not allowed to wear flat shoes to work and that I must keep my hair either in a bun or straightened shoulder length.
While I don't have an issue with the hairstyle, I'm uncomfortable in heels, I told my manager this and she suggested I wear kitten heels or wedge shoes.
I wasn't informed about a dress code during the interview process and the employee handbook makes no mention of these (it just states that we should be professionally dressed to work). Isn't this discrimination?

Yours Truly,

Uncomfortable in Heels


Dear Uncomfortable,

Unfortunately,  stipulating a dress code that is not hinged on your gender, race, national origin, religion or age is not discrimination because your employer is within their rights to enact a dress code. Unfair? maybe but it is not illegal.

You can try having a chat with HR about your discomfort with wearing high heels and see if they will be willing to bend the rules for you or you can choose to wear kitten heels or wedges as advised by your manager while you begin searching for another job.

All the best!

Please send your questions for publication to dearcareersensei@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment